This post include on query pet fish names especially 57 great names for your pet fish by thevetscare.com
Even Fish Deserve a Name That Suits Its Personality
Picking a name for your pet fish can be a lot of fun but it can also be really tricky (especially if you have a tank full of similar looking fish)! Whether it’s a betta, a clownfish, or a guppy, you’ll be sure to find a unique, funny, cute, or plain fish name for your scaled, aquatic friend in this list. Now you’ll just need to be able to tell who is who in that school of fish.
Pet Fish Names – Fictional Fish Names
Want to name your fish in honor of a make-believe fish? There are plenty of options!
- Cleo: Geppetto’s goldfish in the Disney movie Pinnochio
- Larry: a Shark from the movie Shark Tales
- Bruce: a “friendly” shark from the movie Finding Nemo
- Don Lino: a not-so-friendly shark from the movie Shark Tales
- Dory: a little blue fish played by Ellen DeGeneres in the movie Finding Nemo and Finding Dory
- Nemo: a little clownfish from the movie Finding Nemo
- Marlin: Nemo’s clownfish dad
- Mr. Limpet: a man-turned-fish, played by Don Knotts in The Incredible Mr. Limpet
- Mrs. Puff: Sponge Bob’s hapless driving teacher
- Otto: a goldfish that grows to tremendous size in the Dr. Seuss book A Fish Out of Water
- Swimmy: the protagonist in the children’s book of the same time
- Rainbow Fish: the fish who gives away all her rainbow scales in the children’s book The Rainbow Fish
- Flounder: Ariel the Mermaid’s close fish friend from the movie Little Mermaid
- Jaws: the terrifying shark from the movie Jaws
- Wanda: the luckless fish from the movie A Fish Called Wanda
- One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, or Blue Fish: from the Dr. Seuss book of the same name
Not Technically Fish But Close Enough for Fun
While a purist may feel that fish should only get fish names, these other ocean-going creatures have some pretty great names too:
- Leviathan: a gigantic mythical sea creature
- Flipper: everyone’s favorite dolphin (which is technically a mammal)
- Sponge Bob: he’s a sponge, but he lives under the sea
- Squidward: Sponge Bob’s best frenemy
- Sebastian: a crab, from the movie Little Mermaid
- Ariel: The Little Mermaid
- Poseidon: Ariel’s father the King
- Willie: a famous whale (another mammal) from the movie Free Willie
Fish names are often related to water and other ocean memorabilia.
Names such as ‘Bubbles’ and ‘Coral’ make great fish names, and would suit any type of fish, regardless of its color, size or breed.
When naming your fish, it is important to remember that you won’t be calling them very often. Therefore, unlike when choosing a dog name, naming them something with more syllables, such as ‘Anastasia’ or ‘Mrs Puff’ isn’t a problem.
Fun and Silly Fish Names
If you’re looking for a giggle, these fish names may be perfect for your pet.
- Algae B Eater
- Fish N’ Chips
- General Finn
- Jaques Cousteau
- Mahi Mahi
- Mr. Bubbles
- Mr. Nibbles
More About Fish Names
While the names above are great for any fish, you’ll want to know much more about the specific species of fish living in your aquarium. Not only will you want to choose an appropriate name, but you’ll also want to find out more about how to care for your fish. Each species needs something a little different to live a long, healthy life.
Dog person or cat person—or fish person? Try all three! The third most common pet in America is the fish, and here at Rover, we think fish names deserve more attention. After all, Rover brings you the most popular pet names every year. We consulted our huge database of pet names to compare top choices for furry friends to favorite picks for fish. We’ve included plenty of recommendations for boy fish names, girl fish names, betta fish names, and more.
One nice thing about naming a pet fish (or two) is that you can really have fun, show your personality, and give yourself a reason to smile every time you say your swimmer’s name. Read on for top choices in fishy names this year, and best of luck picking a great name.
Top 10 Male Fish Names
- Nemo (for a clownfish, of course)
Top 10 Female Fish Names
- Angel (ideal for angelfish)
- Nessie (for a large fish species)
90 Cool Fish Names
We love this variety of choices, from mythological to nature or pop culture-inspired.
- Bahari (ocean in Swahili)
- Brizo (Greek goddess of sailors)
- Brook or Brooke
- Bruce (the shark from Finding Nemo)
- Diana (Roman goddess of the moon)
- Electra (a great name for a flashy fish)
- Great White
- Isabella (or Bella)
- Kai (Hawaiian for ‘ocean’)
- Kaiyo (Japanese for ‘ocean’)
- Magnolia (Maggie)
- Plankton (fish food, fish name!)
- Ripley (or Riptide)
- Selkie (after the Irish legend)
- Tidal Wave
- Veiltail (one of the most common types of fish tails)
50 Cute Fish Names
Because ‘Bubbles’ and ‘Squirt’ only go so far.
- Beluga (the ultimate name for a white fish)
- Freckles (cute name for a spotted fishy)
- Gordon or Gordy
30 Orange Fish Names
Not surprisingly, goldfish are among the most popular aquatic pets. So how do you choose the perfect moniker for an orange fish—besides Goldie? Rover has some great options for you.
- Dorothy (the goldfish in Elmo’s World)
- Mac (and Cheese)
- Orange Crush
- Pumpkin (name the next fish ‘Pie’)
- Tiger or Tigress
35 Funny Fish Names
Pun names for fish are tops for many families. The species of fish can make these even funnier. For instance, the irony of “Pumpkin” on a blue fish is enough to make many owners smile.
- Alpha Betta
- Betta Midler
- Betta White
- Captain Hook
- Captain Jack
- Captain Morgan
- Eddy (as in the water currents)
- Harley Finn
- Jetsam (a pair with Flotsam)
- Lake Skywalker
- Marlin Brando
- Mr. Limpet
- Mrs. Puff
- Outta Tuna
- Small Fry
- Yacht or Li’l Yachty
Do Fish Need Names?
Fish don’t respond to our voices in the same way that cats and dogs do, of course. And fish training isn’t really in the cards. So why give a name to your pet fish or fishes, as the case often is? Well, why not? Fish do know who their owners are, after all.
Check out some more good fish names below:
- Jewel – perfect for a shimmering fish!
- Fliss – ‘Fliss the Fish’ could be a funny tongue-twister!
- Francesca – ‘Frannie’ for short
- Cosmo – relating to the world or the universe
- Ursula – from Disney’s ‘The Little Mermaid’
- Apollo – national divinity of Greek Gods
- Hero – from Shakespeare’s ‘Much Ado About Nothing’
Cute Fish Names
Fish are some of the smallest pets on earth, and their tiny features make them adorable pets.
We’ve compiled a list of cute names to suit the cutest fish around!
Some adorable breeds of fish include:
- Blue Tangs
- Rainbow Parrotfish
- Clown Fish (featured in Disney Pixar’s ‘Finding Nemo’)
‘Nemo’ is therefore a really cute name for a fish, as are other short and sweet names such as ‘Lulu’ and ‘Tizzy’!
We suggest calling your fish a shortened version of a name, such as ‘Dotty’, short for ‘Dorothy’, as this is so much cuter!
Explore more cute fish names below:
- Daphne – or ‘Daffy’ for short
- Cleo – from Disney’s ‘Pinocchio’
- Yoshi – a character from Nintendo’s ‘Mario Kart’
- Stella – meaning ‘star’
- Yoda – a fictional character from the ‘Star Wars’ franchise
- Goldilocks – a great name for a goldfish!
- Zig Zag
- Dizzy – perfect for an energetic fish!
- Dorothy – Elmo’s goldfish
Pet Fish Names
Naming your fish can be a simple task if you know the right places to look!
Study their appearance, including their patterns, eyes and tail which can give you lots of inspiration.
‘Belle’, from Disney’s ‘Beauty and the Beast’ is a great name for a stunning, yellow fish.
‘Fleur’, meaning ‘Flower’ in French is perfect for a fish with a patterned tail, as these patterns often look like flower petals.
Looking up the scientific name for your fish can inspire great names, such as ‘Carassius auratus’, meaning ‘goldfish’ which could be shortened to ‘Cara’.
Have a look through our ideas for pet fish names to see if any suit your pet!
- Aquaman – King of the seas
- CiCi – sounds like ‘SeaSea’
- Magikarp – from the ‘Pokémon’ franchise
- Delta – where a river splits off into separate rivers before it meets the sea
- High Tide
- Low Tide
- Reef – where many beautiful fish are found
- Weed – pair with ‘sea’ for a great duo of names!
- Swedish – after the candy ‘Swedish Fish’
- Diver – perfect for a fish who loves to swim to the depths of their tank!
Cool Fish Names
There’s no doubt about it – what ultimately sets fish apart from all other pets is their cool appearance and personality.
Not only do they have laid-back personalities, and rarely cause trouble in the tank, their incredible scales make them some of the coolest pets on earth!
Some cool freshwater fish include:
- Neon Tetras, with their shimmering colors of silver, white and neon orange
- Cherry Barbs, who are not only some of the most active and entertaining pet fish, but also have bright, striking red scales
We’ve compiled a list of cool, unique and quirky names to perfectly suit your coolest fish:
- Zsa Zsa
- Sansa – from the ‘Game of Thrones’ franchise
- Yang – great if paired with ‘Yang’!
- Wasabi – a spicy, exotic plant
- Jupiter – the largest planet in the solar system
- Katniss – from the ‘Hunger Games’ franchise
- Priscilla – ‘Cilla’ for short
Strong Fish Names
Siamese Fighting Fish, or Betta Fish, make incredible pets with their magnificent fins and colors, therefore they deserve magnificent fish names to match.
Naming your Betta Fish can be great fun if you get creative!
Drawing inspiration from the world around you, such as the books you read and the colors you see, is a great idea!
It’s also important to study the color, size and variation of your fish, for example if it has a specific tail type, like a Crown Tail, a particular pattern, like a Marble, or a particular color, such as a Chocolate or a Turquoise.
- Mustard – perfect for a dark, yellow fish
- Peacock – a great name for a fish with pattered scales
- King – for a fish who rules the tank
- Pepper – suited to a speckly black and white fish
Choosing The Perfect Name For Your Pet Fish
1. Do Some Research
Find out as much as you can about your new fish! Make sure you know their breed, scientific name and general habits, as these elements can inform your decision when you come to name them.
2. Think Carefully
Are you looking for popular and traditional names like the ones listed in our ‘Fish Names’ subheading, or something unique and exotic like the ‘Cool Names’ section?
3. Ask Friends & Family For Help
A friend with a great sense of humour might have some funny ideas for names, or a family member might have some unique ideas that you’ve never thought of!
4. Look Around You
Could anything you can see make a good name for a fish? Try looking outside, as nature-related names suit fish brilliantly.
Write down your ideas and then speak them out loud.
See which one feels better and suits your fish the best!
We hope we’ve given you some inspiration to help name your new pet fish!
We believe fish make amazing pets, and we’re sure you do too!
Whether it was a cute, traditional fish names like ‘Bubbles’, or a cool exotic name like ‘Thaddeus’ that stood out to you, we hope you found the perfect one!
Whatever you choose, make sure you enjoy the naming process – it can be lots of fun if you explore lots of ideas and keep trying them out to find a great match for your swimming side-kick!
Let us know in the comments if we’ve missed any of your ideas for fish names.